Re: E-M:/ Piping Plover Public Alert

Greetings,

Thank-you very much for this post!

I have volunteered for protecting the piping plover at the Platte River
Campground and public beach, where the Platte River flows into Lake Michigan.

This spot could use volunteers on weekends like the fourth of July, when
tourist traffic is heavy. The little plovers are light as cottonballs when
born, and swimming, boating and other activities need to be monitored for
protection of the species.

The vast majority of tourist, once made aware of the situation are very eager
to "tread lightly" and stay away from the plovers, and in fact are thankful.

The problem is that the sheer numbers of people on this high volume weekend
make it difficult for only a few volunteers.

I strongly urge folks to help. It is a very rewarding endeavor.

murray dailey