Re: E-M:/ deer license plates

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cornett <drcornet@up.net>

Greetings:

I find it interesting that Robert Evans claims that "[M]y agency and others
have worked for several years now to try to come up with a solution to the
problem..." of removing road-killed deer from the highways.

What Mr. Evans fails to mention is that his agency, the Ottawa National
Forest, and the timber industry, have done much more to create the deer
problem by an extensive and intensive timber-cutting program.  Logging
perpetuates habitat conducive to high deer populations.  This mismanagement
is quite evident when you drive the Forest Service back roads or fly over
the Watersmeet area.  Most of this area has been cut.  What's left is
currently scheduled to be cut.

Instead of taking responsibility for their actions, the Forest Service,
expects us, the taxpayers of Michigan, to pay for the clean-up of deer
carcasses on US-2 and US-45.

Our tax dollars also pay for the National Forest timber-cutting program,
which loses nearly $1 billion per year.  All Michigan National Forests are
money-losers.

Add to that the numerous injuries and deaths of Bald Eagles and other
wildlife drawn to road-kills, and the over-browsing of Sylvania Wilderness,
and the cost is pushed even higher.

Road-killed deer on our highways is only a symptom of a much larger problem.

No Laughing Matter,

Doug Cornett
Northwoods Wilderness Recovery