Re: E-M:/ deer license plates

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Jim Fackert wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Jim Fackert" <jfackert@cac.net>
>
> So the solution to the problem is that those who cause it by creating
> artificially large deer population should put road kill removal in their
> budget as well!  Cause and effect, be responsible, and stop wasting the
> legislature's time...

The other constituency that seeks very large deer populations is the
hunters, and the businesses that profit from the hunting community. Those
groups and the forest service together should be able to underwrite the
costs of dead deer removal, and perhaps also pay for the damage to
automobiles. I don't see why the majority of citizens with no interest in
the deer (except for liking to see a few now and then) should be asked to
contribute to this. The problem is not of their making. I acknowledge the
desirability of reducing the access of eagles and other rarer wildlife to
the dangers of feeding on roadkill deer, but the emphasis, I think, should
be on greatly reducing the deer populations, rather than later cleaning up
the mess.

Rane L. Curl