Re: E-M:/ road kill license plate OK'd

Enviro-Mich message from "Tim Flynn" <tflynn@freeway.net>

> Tim:
> Too many eagles and other scavengers/predators die on the roadside eating
> dead deer.  It is not natural.

Dear deans,

But the solution is NOT to fund picking up deer with license plate money.

The solution is changing forestry practices, ie restoring native disturbance
patterns, return intervals, intensity, and severities to the landscape
- massive whole tree harvest of our forest is the key to deer densities
remaining a unsustainable levels for year after year.

It also some in the hunting community "regulating" deer number in an
unscientific way, ie 1.8 to 2 million deer year in and year out, which is
destroying more than eagles on highways, but whole native plant, and
therefore animal, communities in our forest.

DNR deer management has changed our deer herd from one of the glories of
creation, into a pandemic of over browsing.  All in the name of target
enhancement.   Forest management in Michigan can be summed up at "timber and
targets" !   Native habitat is not part of the picture.

Clearcuts are not good early successional habitat, they in no way mimic
natural disturbance, there is no structure left in most clearcut, structure
IS habitat.   The DNR has a policy that describes the value of structure
(snag, dead and down trees, cavities) to "hundreds" of species in Michigan,
yet most clearcut leave none of these structures, therefore by the DNR own
policy statement these logging project create bad habitat.

DRIP funds should be use to pick up dead deer, since this fund in keyed to
producing the over abundance in the first place.

Scientific management of the deer population would allow for swings in deer
numbers, with lows (below 5-10 deer per square mile) and highs.   Such
management would allow recovery of native plant communities.  The DNR's
timber and target management is causing extirpation of Canada yew from the
NLP, it is not allowing cedar communities to heal, and is changing herb rich
moraine plant communities into herb poor communities, etc.

This is clearly no joke, it's a crime.

Tim Flynn