E-M:/ Heartwood Forest Council Gathering!

9th Annual Heartwood Forest Council Gathering
Traverse City, Michigan
May 29-31, 1999

Northwoods Wilderness Recovery will host the 9th Annual Heartwood Forest

Council gathering on Memorial Day weekend, May 29-31, 1999.  This event
will take place near Michigan s beautiful Sleeping Bear Dunes National
Lakeshore at Camp Greilick, approximately 7 miles south of Traverse
City.

The Heartwood Forest Council is a gathering for all people concerned
about our forests, streams, and natural communities in the central
hardwoods region, which extends from Appalachia to the  Ozarks and from
the Great Lakes to the Deep South.  People of all ages and level of
experience find opportunities at the Forest Council to learn the
information and skills that they need to defend their local forests and
strengthen the growing movement to protect all our eastern forests. It
is also a great chance to meet new friends, eat great food, and
celebrate successful protection efforts of the past year.

The weekend will be filled with opportunities to participate in
workshops, as well as meet and network with great activists from
throughout the eastern United States and beyond. We encourage local and
regional activists and organizations to bring issues facing their
region s forests, watersheds and communities.

This year, we will be building on the profound successes the Heartwood
network has accomplished by halting logging on many public lands in the
heartland forests.  Some of the topics of discussion will be citizen
forest monitoring, legislation to end logging on public lands, wood
fiber waste and demand reduction strategy, forest certification, and
challenging industrial forestry (chip mills, pulp & paper plants, export

facilities).  We will look at forest issues from a local and global
perspective.  In addition, we will hold skills workshops that will
develop our effectivness in working with the media, lobbying, reaching
out to "non-traditional" allies and coalition building within our
communities. In addition, there will be a group field trips to the
Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore.

Rustic indoor and outdoor overnight facilities are on-sight. Meals
($26/weekend) will be provided and folks are welcome to bring their own
food as well. Registration is $35 for non-Heartwood member, $25 for
members, and $12 for students.  $10 more at the door.  Work exchange
programs will be available for those on limited budgets.

We hope to see you there!
For more information, please contact:

Karen Tuerk
123 N. Franklin St.
Madison, WI  53703
(608) 255-8187
ktuerk@execpc.com

List of cosponsors:

Superior Wilderness
Action Network (SWAN)

Defenders of the Great Lakes

Green Onion Resource Center

Michigan Land Use Institute

Northern Michigan
Environmental Action Council

Great Lakes United

Student Environmental Alliance

Student Environmental Action Coalition, UW-Milwaukee

Native Forest Council

Indiana Forest Alliance

Regional Association of
 Concerned Environmentalists (RACE)