E-M:/ Fwd: Fire & Grit Announcement

Enviro-Mich message from "Rachel Martin" <rmartin@envirolink.org>

...This intends to be for anyone, but especially
or those on that parallel way: here is a smoke
signal, unmistakable but unobtrusive -- we are
following what comes, going through the world,
knowing each other, building our little fires.

		-- William Stafford

The Orion Society is pleased to present a Millennium Conference,
Fire & Grit: Working for Nature in Community,
June 21-24, 1999 at the National Conservation Training Center near Washington, D.C.

Fire & Grit is meant to bring national attention to the importance of place-based thinking and action.  The conference will celebrate grassroots work that forms the vital core of the environmental movement.  With the increase in  diverse grassroots initiatives, it is imperative that we not lose a common, underlying vision.

The Orion Society is inviting hundreds of grassroots leaders from across North America to attend Fire & Grit.  They will be joined by an unprecedented number of visionaries and writers.

We urge you to attend and to share this announcement with other organizations and individuals.  Read on for a list of speakers, committed organizations, and discussion group leaders.

Registration is limited.  For more information and registration materials, visit our website or contact us at:

<http://www.orionsociety.org/fgabout.html>

K. Meagan Ledendecker
The Orion Society
195 Main St., Great Barrington, MA 0123
(413) 528-4422  Fax: (413) 528-0676
(888) 909-6568
kmeagan@orionsociety.org

PLENARY SPEAKERS

Each day, plenary talks will address the conference themes of Community, Spirit, and Sacrifice.

Bruce Babbitt
Healing Creation Through Watershed Restoration

Rick Bass
The Community of Glaciers

Wendell Berry
One Agrarian's Perspective

John Elder
Stewardship and Education

Robert Hass
Fire's Tongue: The Spirit's Vision

William Kittredge
Selfishness and Generosity

Barry Lopez
A Benediction of the Heart

Peter Matthiessen
Spirit and Bearing Witness

Bill McKibben
Questions of Scale

Stephanie Mills
Rejoining the Community of Life

Richard Nelson
Patriotism and the American Land

Gary Paul Nabhan
Establishing a Multicultural Sense of Place

Scott Russell Sanders
The Force of Spirit

William E. Wade, Jr.
Even in the Most Unlikely Places

T. H. Watkins
Roots: A History

Greg Watson
Transforming Urban Communities

Terry Tempest Williams
The Table of Restoration

Ann Zwinger
For Spacious Skies

*********

DISCUSSION GROUPS
Daily small gatherings to discuss conference themes will be led by:

David Abram
David Campbell
John Daniel
Jan DeBlieu
Alison Deming
Rolf Diamant
Jim Dodge
David James Duncan
Robert Finch
Sue Halpern
John Harris
Ellen Meloy
Robert Michael Pyle
Janisse Ray
Peter Sauer
Scott Slovic
Annick Smith
David Sobel
John Tallmadge
Cynthia Thomashow

*********
ORGANIZATIONS  REPRESENTED  AT  FIRE  &  GRIT
(as of May 17, 1999)

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********