E-M:/ RE: / More on sprawl

Enviro-Mich message from "Douglas B Jester" <jester@tcimet.net>

Anne:

Several quick things:

East Lansing supports maintaining the Urban Services Boundary in Meridian
Township, and we are likely to propose that maintaining it be a condition of
anticipated upcoming agreements concerning water and sewer supplies to
Meridian Township by the East Lansing-Meridian Sewer and Water Authority.
However, our leverage over development via water has been significantly
diminished by the Board of Water and Light water extensions through DeWitt
Township to Bath Township and the soon-to-be-constructed water mains to
Jackson National Life.

As for how East Lansing would handle the Governors' Club proposal, I would
expect that some version of it will be approved if the annexation occurs.
However, we do not have a zone that is appropriate for anything like the
proposal because we have not had land where something like a golf course was
possible for many years. A draft amendment to our zoning code, intended for
use in this case, will be introduced in the next couple of weeks. Your
comments on that proposal will be welcome. Initial presentations about the
project, by the developer, have been given to City Council and to the
Planning Commission, and will be given to the Environment Commission next
month. So, we are just beginning our homework. As for East Lansing being
pro-development, we are, at least inside East Lansing. At the same time, we
regularly reject development proposals that we don't find consistent with
our policies. Being in favor of good development in the City or in annexed
areas is consistent with being against sprawl.

The issues that most discourage me from supporting the proposed annexation
are the ones having to do with democratic processes. I'd like the idea a
whole lot better if the developers had initially proposed annexation rather
than creating the situation that now exists in the Township.

More later!

Douglas Jester