Re: E-M:/ Re: Ecological Golf Courses?

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@biology.lsa.umich.edu>

There is a part of, or offshoot of, the Audubon Society that has a program
of "certifying" golf courses that meet criteria including use of IPM
rather than blanket pesticides, improvements in water quality (including
less fertilizer), maintenance and/or restoration of natural habitats
(including planting of native plants around water hazards, which has the
additional benefit of deterring Canada geese), etc.  The address for this
organization is buried somewhere in my files, but it's in upstate New
York.  Here in Michigan, the Fox Hills Golf Course in Superior Township,
Washtenaw County, belongs to this program.  They've planted a number of
prairie areas on the course.

	--Barb Madsen