Re: E-M:/ sand & gravel

Enviro-Mich message from Kristine Yvette Olsson <olssonk@umich.edu>

Julie,
Here at the Huron River Watershed Counicl, we have received some calls
over the years, and have not been able to give much help.  That is
becuase, really, gravel pits in and of themselves aren't that bad in terms
of water quality.  Except that they scoop off layers of earth, thus
exposeing thewater table to contamination.  So we suggest that communities
make sure the gravel miners handles any hazasrdous materials very
carrfully, and that their is an agreement or covenent for how they will
rehabilitate the site.  The biggest problems seem to be aftewards, when
landfill companies want to use them.  That is a no no.  That's all we've
been able to say about the matter.

Anybody else with other information, please cc. me too, because I'd love
to learn more.

KRis Olsson