E-M:/ WOLF COMEBACK CONTINUES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  18 JUNE 99
CONTACTS:       Raymond Rustem  517-373-1263
                James Hammill  906-875-6622

WOLF COMEBACK CONTINUES
LANSING--Results of the 1998-99 winter wolf survey,
conducted by the Department of Natural Resources, confirmed
the presence of at least 174 wolves, in at least 30 packs,
scattered across the Upper Peninsula.  This compares with
last year's count of 140 wolves.  No wolves were confirmed
in the Lower Peninsula.
The wolf census is conducted by biologists on snowmobiles or
snowshoes and from aerial observations of radio-collared
wolves during the winter.  This year's count was delayed by
poor tracking snow in early winter.  "This represents a
minimum count of wolves," said Jim Hammill, Wildlife
Management Unit Supervisor.  "Since wolves can travel 30 to
50 miles in a day, we don't include all tracks to eliminate
as much duplicate counting as possible.  We like to know
something about the number of wolves traveling in a pack and
the range they use before we confirm new sightings."
Wolves have increased in the Upper Peninsula from near
extinction in the 1970s to their present numbers.  It is
believed all wolves now in Michigan either are descendents
of Michigan breeding wolves or the result of immigration
from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ontario, Canada.  No wolves
have been trapped and relocated into Michigan since a failed
attempt to translocate four wolves from Minnesota in the
mid-1970s.
Currently the U.S. Department of the Interior is considering
a proposal to delist wolves in the Great Lakes states.
"Once the wolf either is reclassified to threatened or
removed from the list, I would expect a
similar change to occur in Michigan.  We already have
exceeded our population goal for downlisting this species
from endangered in this state," said Raymond Rustem, Natural
Heritage Program Supervisor. "The wolf represents what can
be accomplished for endangered species when time and
tolerance is provided."
Major portions of Michigan's wolf recovery program are
supported through citizen donations to the Nongame Fish and
Wildlife Trust Fund on the state income tax form.
###
To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail
message from your own e-mail address to
listserv@listserv.cnoc.state.mi.us with this in the body of
your message:
     signoff dnrwire
To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your
own e-mail address to listserv@cnoc.state.mi.us
with this in the body of your message:
     subscribe dnrwire your name   (Use an alias, if you
prefer.)
There's also an electronic form on the DNR home page at
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/dept/listsubs.htm