Re: E-M:/ Milan Township hearing recap

Enviro-Mich message from tobler <wtobler@tdi.net>

Tomorrow night is the continuation of the deliberations.  I understand
that the Milan Township Planning Commission will meet again at the Milan
Middle School auditorium at 7:30PM.

After 18 years of experience with Planning and Zoning, my own view is
that this process is a sham.  The Planning Commission is considering to
modify the Land Use Plan in order to justify a decision made in the same
meeting, for the benefit of ONE applicant.  As a result, they are
throwing away ANY protections that a Land Use Plan provides for the
future.  In addition, several weeks ago, the Zoning Board of Appeals
made a "decision" which concluded that a 1000 acre rail yard was a
"similar" Special Land Use enumerated elsewhere in their Ordinance, and
therefore was implicitly included.  NOT EVEN CLOSE!!  Could this be
another example of ZBAs doing anything which they please to suit special
interests, and the special interests of elected officials?  In last
week's meeting, the Ann Arbor Railroad representatives related that the
Monroe County Road Commission, Health Department and Drain Commission
didn't support many of their remediation plans, meaning the plans
proposed to address the concerns raised by the citizens over the past
few months!  Once again, it appears that citizens can't expect even
minimal support, protection, or job performance from their local or
County officials!  It looks to me like a Referendum and recall are both
in order.

William Tobler
Intercounty Citizens' Action Group