E-M:/ Environmental Crossing of Lake Superior 1999

Enviro-Mich message from "TONY DEFALCO" <DEFALCO@nwf.org>

FYI from NWF's Lake Superior Project
[Apologies for Cross Postings]

The Lake Superior Project is working with a group of six kayakers who are planning to cross Lake Superior by kayak. They are raising awareness of water quality in Lake Superior and the importance of designating Lake Superior as an Outstanding National Resource Water (ONRW). NWF has worked very hard to obtain this special designation for Lake Superior in the past. While Michigan and Minnesota have proposed a less protective designation, Wisconsin has yet to decide.

The kayakers will cross from Thunder Bay, ON on July 27th to Isle Royale. They will then look for a good weather window to cross to the Keweenaw Peninsula, arriving on July 3rd in the Village of Lake Linden for a celebration that you are invited to attend! Come out and show your support for Lake Superior!

I am attaching a press release, backgrounder on ONRW and a media advisory.

Feel free to call me if you have questions or would like more information.

Tony DeFalco, Lake Superior Project Organizer
National Wildlife Federation
506 E. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 769-3351