E-M:/ Vector pipeline's "work areas"

Sue:  IF it isn't in the easement, then any damage done to the trees would
have to be repaid -- they don't have an eminent domain over adjacent
properties any more than the road commission can go beyond the right of way
and cut down a tree in the middle of your yard! I think I would insist on a
WRITTEN CONTRACT with the pipeline company with a MAP attached that includes
all of the natural or man made features that they are even near, with explicit
agreements on what should NOT be touched. If they make enough of a stink about
it, maybe Vector will find someone else to pester instead.

On protecting the trees, I have seen protective measures mandated by
communities on work done on building sites where a tall, orange plastic fence
is constructed entirely around the dripline of the tree to establish a clear,
no tread barrier.  Currently, in fact, MSU has a whole bunch of these set up
along side of a major construction site, so if anyone is looking for an
example in the relatively nearby area, they can see them at work on the MSU
campus.  I don't think I would EVER rely on heavy equipment operators to "be
careful", so would insist on this if the "temporary" acquisition of land is
even legal in the first place.

Just a few thoughts -- its enough to make you a property rights advocate!

Anne

I had a call from another rural landowner who is being impacted by the Vector
Pipeline.   There are 3 huge old trees which are not located in the pipeline's
easement but lie within the 100' "work area" they want to confiscate
"temporarily".   There is some confusion as to whether or not they expect to be
able to cut these trees down all together.  Does anyone know of any precedents
where pipeline installers avoided impacting trees like this?   Is there any way
for them to work around the trees without irreparably harming the trees' roots?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peace,
Sue Kelly
dsok1@ismi.net

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I had a call from another rural landowner who is being
impacted by the Vector Pipeline.&nbsp;&nbsp; There are 3 huge old trees which
are not located in the pipeline's easement but lie within the 100' &quot;work
area&quot; they want to confiscate &quot;temporarily&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp; There is
some confusion as to whether or not they expect to be able to cut these trees
down all together.&nbsp; Does anyone know of any precedents where pipeline
installers avoided impacting trees like this?&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there any way for
them to work around the trees without irreparably harming the trees'
roots?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Any advice would be appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Peace,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Sue Kelly</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>dsok1@ismi.net</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>