Re: E-M:/ Michigan Specific Content

Greetings,

Anne Woiwode wrote: "In
addition, this kind of info is best when directed to encourage an action, so
it helps when posting a notice regarding federal legislation or federal agency
actions to explain what the subscribers can do to have a voice or express
concern or support.
Your assertion that posts have specific actions".

Anne,

Your explanation to me for not endorsing or urging legislative action and
citizen action on the National Forest Protection and Restoration Act-No
Commercial Logging-is that your 501 (c) (3) status does not allow you to.
(NCL IS the official Sierra Club policy) Yet, i find it intriging that you
find time to urge action on other initiatives and legislative proposals such
as state mandated timber marking by using funds from your 501 (c) 4 status.

SWAN is also 501 (c) (3). I do not believe that they can go beyond
information and education of specific bills, thus it would be inappropriate
for SWAN to urge specific action.

To ask us to assume that other people are uninformed and that they cannot
figure out how to contact their  perspective legislators is patronizing and
unfair.

I see this Michigan Specific issue as nit picking in a time of crisis--full
out assault on ESA and severe implications to all Michigan lands--and
extremely unproductive to be wasting time having to respond to and  be
distracted by.

This comes very close to a backdoor rider kind of censorship for avoiding
national issues and legislation that directly impacts Michigan. Granted,
there have been posts that i have seen on this list that were completely
unrelated to Michigan, even i have made this mistake from time to time. But
the world moves to fast and our work is much to hard to be 100% in sync with
each and every post.

Let's focus on this utter madness going down in the Congress. I would
especially like to add that most every legislator in this state is on this
list. SO, the information Ray Fenner posted was on-topic in a big, big way.

Thanks for providing this forum.

for all the endangered critters in Michigan,

Murray Dailey

Anne Woiwode Wrote:

Folks:

When Sierra Club set up this listserve we wanted to assure that the
information presented was relevant to Michigan, not generic information about
environmental issues which does show up on many other listserves.  We set it
up so that listings are automatically posted, instead of being moderated, so
that the trust is put in the subscribers to post items that are appropriate.

I want to note to those who are reacting to what I consider to be the
appropriate response from our list master that the message sent was to
encourage the poster In
addition, this kind of info is best when directed to encourage an action, so
it helps when posting a notice regarding federal legislation or federal agency
actions to explain what the subscribers can do to have a voice or express
concern or support.  -- that this posting was clearly linked to Michigan in
the minds of
those familiar with the issue doesn't mean that all of us understand that.  In
addition, this kind of info is best when directed to encourage an action, so
it helps when posting a notice regarding federal legislation or federal agency
actions to explain what the subscribers can do to have a voice or express
concern or support.

Our listmaster, Alex Sagady, is a volunteer who devotes a huge amount of time
to making this listserve run well, and I would hope that people who benefit
from the listserve realize that part of what makes it worth following is the
set of rules adopted up front.  How about not shooting the messenger without
whom there would be no forum?

Anne Woiwode