Re: E-M:/ Deforestation, Dioxin, and No Commercial Logging! -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "Smethurst" <dsmeth@freeway.net>

-----Original Message-----
From: DAVE MERKEL <48MERDAV@menasha.com>
To: Murphwild1@aol.com <Murphwild1@aol.com>; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
<enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Date: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 12:29 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Deforestation, Dioxin, and No Commercial Logging! -Reply

>Amen to Dave Merkel comments.  "Stopping logging" is a radical no brainer
that would impact so many facets of our lives it is impossible to
imagine-other that to put immense pressure on private lands or third world
country forests.  We certainly should increase our efforts to recycle and
use other sources of fiber whenever possible.  We should create old growth
forests on state and federal land, especially in unique areas, land
especially suited for a forest type, to encourage old growth critters, to
make sure future generations have old growth to see and visit, etc.. , but
not all our public forests should be old growth.  Not only do we truly need
some forest products, we need the diversity of "young growth" critters as
well.  Dave comments were well thought out, I only wish all in the timeber
industry shared his viewpoints, especialy in the west.

Dave Smethurst>