Re: E-M:/ Deforestation, Dioxin, and No CommercialLogging!-Reply -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "DAVE MERKEL" <48MERDAV@menasha.com>

Rachel,

I obviously touched a nerve here.
I admire and respect your love of the
wild places. You would be surprised
at how much I love those areas and
want to protect them as well, despite
the fact that I work for a papermill. I figured
that someone would misinterpret what
I tried to say in my post, so let me just
comment on a few points with some facts
to keep this alive and interesting. I am very
very aware that no matter what I say, there
will be some naysayers out there who
will never believe anything. That is not
my issue. Below are some numbers
and ideas to consider, and are the reason
why I placed my first post about the
incorrect information being spouted
on this Listserv:

1) 46% of Michigan forests are owned
by private individuals. 35% is owned
by the public (state and federal lands),
with the balance owned by corporations
and industry. Check the 5th Forest
Inventory conducted by the USDA Forest
Service if you want more details.

2) At the mill where I work for example,
50 % of our wood comes from harvested
forests. By far and away 90% of our
harvested wood comes from private
land owners. Of the non harvested
wood (50% of our total), 100% of it
comes from sawmills as scrap wood
which would normally be burnt or
discarded. Of our total fiber furnish,
70% is recycled paper, 30% is hardwood
timber (50% of which is recycled slabwood
from sawmills).

3) Annually in Michigan, for each
 thousand trees, 39 new trees grow,
8 trees die from natural causes (not
necessarily a good reason to harvest,
harvest, harvest, but a fact nonetheless),
12 trees are harvested, leaving a net gain
each 1000 trees of 19.

4) In the UP, 84% of the acreage is
forested. In the Upper LP, 66% of the
acreage is forested. In the Lower LP,
21% of the acreage is forested. Michigan's
timber surplus (the amount of forests
growing and above and beyond what
is harvested) is number one in the
nation, above:  Washington State (#2),
Idaho (#3), Montana (#4) and Pennsylvania (#5).
The majority of America's timberland
actually resides east of the Mississippi R.

5) Michigan's timberland is the fifth
largest in the US, exceeded only by
Georgia, Oregon, Alabama, North Carolina.

6 Paper is one place where harvested
and recycled wood is used. In addition,
the timber goes for: lumber, utility poles,
firewood, plywood, furniture, strandbaord,
log homes, paneling, particle board,
shingles, flooring, cabinets, fencing,
Christmas trees and bridges. Other
non-traditional thinking uses of wood are:
toothpaste, soap, medicine, printing inks,
textiles, essential oils, yarn, jelly, cosmetics,
glue, tires, varnish, animal bedding, wax,
plywood adhesives, cereal, pallets, etc.

7) In 1993, there were 18.6 million
acres of timberland in Michigan. That
is 1.1 million  acres more than in 1980,
and increase equal to twice the size of
average size counties in Michigan. The
growing stock in Michigan increased by
42% during that same time.

8) Since 1980, Michigans forest acreage
of large diameter trees (greater than 10
inches) has increased by 55%. Small
poletimber (5 - 10 inches) decreased
27%, and saplings (under 5 inches)
remained relatively constant. Since 1935,
the volume of growing timber in Michigan
has increased 160 percent.

9) Current consumption of wood products
in Michigan are 800 million cubic feet
per year, making Michigan a net importer
of wood products.

10) The majority of paper products
absolutely do not go to landfills. This is
absurd and contentious. Wether
measured in pounds,
tons, truckloads, nells or farthings,
50% or more is recycled directly
back into paper (and that number
is growing each year), a percentage goes
into other products. In the packaging
industry, 70% is recycled directly back
into the papermaking loop. As I posted
before, the majority of the packaging that
is not recycled is due to being heavily
contaminated with wax and other
materials. Other papers are not recycled
because either people don't care enough
to recycle them, or because there are no
good means of recycling in their areas (rural
for the most part). The American Forest
and Paper Association is working
extremely hard to find ways to help
make this happen.

11) With regard to cheap wood products,
what drives down the pricing is not
so much the so called "free" ride, but
the dumping of massive amounts of truly
subsidized wood products from places
like Canada and Mexico, which nearly
devastated the packaging industry a
few years ago. It was ugly. In addition,
with net importers of recyclable paper
such as Japan paying huge premiums
for our products and our scrap, there is
a lot of pressure to balance recycled
versus virgin content in order to have
more controllable cost and an uninterrupted
flow of raw materials. There is some
sort of perverse belief out there that
industry somehow has endless piles
of cash they are hording in secret vaults,
and that if they would just let some of it
out, we could stop any  and all impacts
on the environment immediately. This is
naive and untrue. Obtain publicly available
reports on companies, and learn about
how slim profits really can be.

12) I believe I stated that old growth should
be considered and set aside to insure
both species diversity etc.etc. I also have
my own personal reasons, but they are
private and spiritual.

13) I agree there are cataclysmic and
titanic forces at work on our ecosystems,
not the least of which is our appetite for
"stuff". Shutting down forests is not
going to stop that. Learning to work
together for common causes will
help find solutions. I do not want to
see the wild places go away. That would
be an unforgivable tragedy. There are
people out there, and within industry
spouting off trying to defame each other.
Making someone else look bad does
not make you look good. That kind of
schoolyard argument always fails in the
end, and I felt like that is the way
some of the numbers are positioned.
The media of course loves it and places
the arguments out as facts with glee.
Just throw out something bad and huge,
and everyone wants to believe it. I don't
want the environmental cause to fail any
more than you do, but we have to recognize
it will take time and cooperation. If you,  I
or anyone else makes war, then war is
what we get. It is all our own fault. Pointing
fingers and saying we are all ok, those
people over there are bad people, serves
no purpose. Dr. Martin Luther King and
Ghandi found out there are other
much more powerful and noble ways of
getting things done.

Good luck.

David

~please note these are my own ideas and
opinions and not necessarily those of
Paperboard Division, Menasha Corporation~

>>> "Rachel Martin" <rmartin@envirolink.org> 06/30/99 02:23pm >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Rachel Martin" <rmartin@envirolink.org>

Hello all,

I generally stay out of discussions on this list, but I have felt compelled by the banter going on here to put in my two cents.

Firstly, I do not see any figure in Murray's post that are outrageous.  Mr. Merkel, which fantastical figures are you referring to?  To the figure that 90% of Northwoods timber goes to paper production?  If you have a different figure, I would love to hear what it is.

There are a few "myths" that have been repeated in these posts that I have heard over and over.  The first is that an end to commercial logging on PUBLIC lands would lead to an unfair pressure on private lands and third-world countries.  While this may sound like a reasonable argument, and, of course who wants to feel responsible for the terrible deforestation in other countries, the situation is really much more complicated.

First of all, as David Orr touched upon, paper is too cheap.  Logging on public lands, particularly federal lands (National Forests, BLM lands) is heavily tax-payer subsidized.  In addition, often times, the way that timber sales are designed discourages the smaller operators to have access to the subsidies.  And so we see the largest corporations dominating the public land gravy train.  This all leads to the dumping of cheap wood products, which makes it far more difficult for small woodlot owners and others who want to "do the right thing" to compete, leading to the liquidation of timber on private, particularly small private, holdings.  I guess you could draw an analogy to Wal-Mart destroying Main Street.  (Not to mention wetlands, woodlands, and farmlands!)  In addition, I am personally not against logging.  I'm supportive of truly sustainable logging on private lands.  But I do not believe that logging on our public lands is compatible with all the other uses and values (!
!
I include inherent values here as well)

Secondly, unfortunately we cannot be, not should we be, the keepers of the world.  Destroying our own forests simply is not going to keep the exploitation of Third World countries from occurring.  Reducing our consumption, setting a good example, and working with these countries to share what we've learned can help the situation.  It constantly amazes me to hear people bemoaning the loss of rainforests in Chile while we continue to mow down OUR rainforests, and convert our public lands to tree farms.  We have no right to point fingers at other countries until we practice what we preach, so to say.

And then there's the "toilet paper argument."  (I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard this one!)  Despite Dave Merkel's dire predictions that we will no longer have any toilet paper if we stop logging public lands or practice truly sustainable forestry, this is just simply not the case.  Hell, we EXPORT vast quantities of raw (or mostly-raw) logs and pulp. There's no shortage here!  And, if you want to talk about the jobs issue, guess why you're losing 'em?  It's not the tree-hugging radical anti-logger preservationist forest fairies.  Value added jobs are drifting down the coasts to Mexico and other points south, across the seas to Japan, or are being eaten by the hydro feller-bunchers, chip mills, fiberboard plants, and other job and earth destroying machinery.   It only take about eight people (including management) to run a chip mill and two people can clearcut 100 acres in less than a day.  That's what we're dealing with here.

And I would agree with Dave Merkel that some alternatives to wood products are worse, such as plastics.  Others, like straw bale and the fiber alternatives that Murray lists, hold a lot of promise.  A question that I would have for Mr. Merkel is, where do you get the assertion that alternative fibers are not viable because they don't produce enough fiber per acre compared to wood?  I guess that if you take a myopic view, if you mow down an acre of kenaf you're not going to get as much fiber as if you mow down an acre of ancient redwood.  Or big pines and hemlocks, or a red pine plantation, or even not-even-mature sugar maples.  But next year on that same acre if you went the kenaf route you'd have another crop of kenaf.  If you went any of the other routes, you'd have some twigs, and maybe some grass.  Indeed looking long-term, an acre of hemp will yield ten times the amount of fiber than an acre of trees.

Even better, why not use agricultural wastes that are burned or landfilled each year?

Better than any of this, why not have people pay the real price for paper, create incentives for consumption reduction, stop destructful subsidies like those for logging on public lands, for landfills, etc.?

One more point I;d like to address is this old growth as wasteland issue.  This is absurd.  Before people came and logged the forests here, I am quite certain that there were deer and grouse. And a lot more--moose, elk, wolf, cougar.  The question I pose is how on earth did these creatures survive before chainsaws?  How could the forests (the dead, dying, decadent forests) have survived without our help??!!  The fact is that they did.  True, there weren't quite as many deer, but then I would adamantly state that that's a good thing.  Today our forests are losing hemlock and cedar at an alarming rate, as a result, in part, of the cycle of clearcutting and deer overpopulation (not to mention that these species do not reproduce well in a clearcut).  This wise use anthrocentric view that we must actively manage forests lest they self-destruct is scientifically unfounded, absurd, and logically skewed.

Yes, trees are renewable.  But forests are not.  True, the forest we have in Michigan now is vastly different than the forest that was here a century ago, but with each cut it's harder to go back.  Because the forests have been altered does not mean we should throw up our hands and say "it's too late."  Our public lands provide a great opportunity for forest recovery.  Our public lands are the best places to start the work toward a functional ecosystem.   We need to look at the forests, not just the trees.

For a Wild Michigan!
Rachel