E-M:/ Kayakers Cross Lake Superior!!!

Enviro-Mich message from "TONY DEFALCO" <DEFALCO@nwf.org>

GREAT NEWS!!!

The six kayakers who set out to cross Lake Superior to raise awareness of water quality issues and the need to have an Outstanding National Resource Water designation for the lake have completed their journey safely!!!

Leaving from Isle Royale early Tuesday morning, they arrived in the Keweenaw Peninsula sometime after midnight. Yep, that's nearly 18 hours of paddling! After a morning of nice weather and calm seas, the weather changed and the team struggled through a storm, sometimes facing 5 foot waves. "It was dicey for a while and I found myself praying without even realizing I was doing so," said Kevin Geshel, a resident of Atlantic Mine, MI.

A gathering to celebrate their arrival is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 3, 1999 at the Park in the Village of Lake Linden, Michigan on the shores of Torch Lake. The celebration is set to coincide with the Village of Lake Linden's 4th of July party. Everyone is welcome to come out and celebrate Lake Superior and the kayakers achievement!

Tony DeFalco, Lake Superior Project Organizer
National Wildlife Federation
506 E. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 769-3351