Re: E-M:/ Deforestation, Dioxin, and NoCommercialLogging!-Reply -Reply -Reply

Enviro-Mich message from "DAVE MERKEL" <48MERDAV@menasha.com>

Some good questions Alex. Let me see if I can answer them for you.

>>What slimicide does your firm use, Dave?? What percentage >>of your total slimicide use is discharged in Menasha's >>wastewater effluents? Have you actually measured it?   Does >>Menasha's wastewater permit have a limit for this material(s)?
>>What toxicity is this material exerting in the mixing zone >>downriver?

We use no slimicides on our paper machines to control slime, because we do not get slime formation. Corrugating medium mills typically run temperatures in their white water (an archaic term meaning process water) very hot (130 to 150 +) to provide for better drainage. Slime formers don't like that kind of heat. In addition, for example on our #1PM we run the kind of headbox (the machine that extrudes the water/fiber solution into a sheet of paper) that is under pressure and turbulence, literally scouring itself clean, so again no slime formers. SO the answer to your question is no slimcides used in the papermaking loops, and therefore no concentrations in our effluent.

Another related point to consider is that we have a large extended aeration waste treatment system with tons of biomass working on the dissolved solids (BOD) from the mill. Biocides would hurt the ability to properly reduce our BOD. We are in the top 6% of efficient BOD reducers in the country, and therefore have very healthy bugs working for us. We also do chronic and acute toxicity testing on our effluent. We typically have zero or very low levels of chronic, and no acute. Our waste treatment operator comments on the myriad of daphnia species that grow in our aeration pond.

Also, chemicals which are to be used in our process undergo an intensive screening process, whereby we check all chemicals that are to enter the mill against about 80 - 90 lists (like Prop 65), as well as toxicity for either humans or wildlife. For example, if a chemical is a known carcinogen, we just say no. We also look at aquatic biology data for chemicals, because we don't want to put something in our water systems which will cause toxicity in the effluent. Chemicals are not allowed to enter our mill until they undergo the rigours of the this screening.

Also, for example, along with the MPPEC (Michigan Pulp and Paper Environmental Council) for example, we have entered into an agreement with MDEQ in which we are asking all of our chemical suppliers to document for us the amounts of NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylate) in their chemicals. We found that few suppliers had NPE, and in fact, of all the mills testing For NPE in their outfall, only one had detection of NPE. In addition, we have asked our suppliers to find substitutes without NPE For any products that we currently buy that may have even trace amounts.

If you did not see it before, you may see now that we are knowledgeable about toxicity, very aware of the issues, trying to eliminate water quality issues as a result of toxicity,  and the MDEQ is asking lots of questions around it as well.

>> This is the Kalamazoo River, right?

Yes, our mill is on the Kalamazoo River.

>>Also, while were at it, what does your firm do with the residuals >>from deinking and other crud coming off your post-consumer >>waste recycling operation?

We do not deink. The residuals from our waste treatment system (remember we are a brown mill. The residuals are made up of bacterial bodies, sand, bark, paper fibers etc.) are dewatered on a belt press, and then either land applied to farm fields for beneficial use, or used as an organic source in composting of nursery materials and topsoil. We have submitted, after extensive testing and cooperative work with MDEQ, to have our residuals classified as inert. We have 20+ years of data taken from farm fields where our residuals were applied as data to work from in support of this, and anticipate we will receive this designation very soon.

>>.....and.....  Are you using caustic produced by a mercury >>electrode chlor-alkali process?   Have you ever measured the >>mercury content of your caustic alkali feedstock?

As far as caustic products, we do not add caustic to the papermaking process to control pH or to our cook to help with digestion. Several times a year we do use very small amounts of caustic to "boil out" our paper machines (remove hardness deposits,etc.)

>>Is this the mill in Otsego??

Yes this mill is in Otsego, MI.

Thanks. Hope this answers your questions.

David

At 02:20 PM 7/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "DAVE MERKEL" <48MERDAV@menasha.com>

SNIP

>I can say that yes, my company uses no bleaching to produce our paper
because we are a brown paper mill. We >produce paper that is the fluted
material on the inside of cardboard boxes, and therefore there are no color
or >brightness requirements. The requirements for our paper is that is be
strong and low cost, and therefore >efficiently made.

SNIP

> Most companies using bleaching are changing over or are studying and
engineering different ways to bleach. >Many have gone either TECF (total
elemental chlorine free), or utilize oxygen etc. The Cluster Rule, which our
>industry is working through right now, has or will spend hundreds of
millions on new technologies. It takes time >and money, and they are doing a
good job responding to the challenge. If you want some numbers and facts, I
>suggest you contact one of the companies that makes fine papers. Menasha
only makes brown papers.

>We utilize 70% postconsumer waste to make our paper. There is not enough
paper available for every paper mill i>n the US or the world to use only
100% post consumer paper as furnish. Demand is too high.

One of the achilles heals of the paper industry, even in this
kind of mill, is the use of slimicides to control the formation of
biologicals in paper machines.    The chemicals used must
maintain effectiveness in a warm/hot water environment
inside the plants, but the hope is that the slimicide will degrade
in the water pollution equipment....this is a tall order for the
design of a chemical.

What slimicide does your firm use, Dave??

What percentage of your total slimicide use is discharged in Menasha's
wastewater effluents?

Have you actually measured it?   Does Menasha's wastewater permit have a
limit for this material(s)?

What toxicity is this material exerting in the mixing zone downriver?  This
is the Kalamazoo River, right?

Also, while were at it, what does your firm do with the residuals from
deinking and other crud coming off your post-consumer waste
recycling operation?

.....and.....  Are you using caustic produced by a mercury electrode
chlor-alkali process?   Have you ever measured the mercury content of
your caustic alkali feedstock?

Is this the mill in Otsego??

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)