Re: RE: E-M:/ Deforestation, Dioxin, and NoCommercialLogging!-Reply -Reply -Reply

Greetings,

I find it ominously revealing that Mr. Merkel is the only person and
corporation in Michigan willing to openly discuss the industrial processes
which are used to make paper products and wood products of myriad styles and
forms.

I credit Mr. Merkel with his openness and seeemingly sincere efforts to at
least clarify certain apects of his companies manufacturing processes.

I am still not clear what the sourcing areas are for Menasha's virgin input,
nor am i clear on whether Menasha recieves ANY federal, state or county trees
(forests).

Also, and more importantly, we have not heard hide nor hair from the many
other mills in Michigan regarding their use of chlorine bleaching and where
exactly are the sourcing areas for Pulp and Paper mills in the the state of
Michigan.

One major source of environmental release of dioxin-like compounds (Dioxins,
Furans, and some PCBs and PBBs) are chemical manufacturing sources such as
production processes from pentachlorophenol wood preservatives, chlorine
bleached wood pulp, and phenoxy herbicides. (Poisioning Our Future: The
Dangerous Legacy of Persistent Tocic Chemicals, MICHPIRG)

Also keep in mind that to keep native forests from returning and to keep
converted forests as plantations of single species trees, the use of
herbicides are used. Considering the millions of acres of industrial, private
and public lands being logged, this amounts to substantial toxic release
through "silvicultural activities" (logging). Since most of the upper
peninsula, and much of the lower peninsula lands being logged are a massive
complex of watersheds, lakes, wetlands, creeks, streams, tributaries and
rivers, this high volume of logging and herbicide application is substantial
in estimating water quality degradation.

The fact is that much of the forests of Michigan, both remaining native and
converted plantations and monocultures of aspen, hardwood and pine are going
towards the production of fine papers and other wasteful paper products.

Currently, pulp, paper and chip mills are not required to do Environmental
Impact Statements for the areas they are deforesting, which often cross
regional jurisdictions. It is usually the state or federal agency  that
conducts EIS's on a timber sale by timber sale basis (which are routinely
inadequate and not backed by objective/open peer reviewed data). As chip
mills begin to expand into our region, it is crucial that EPA and State
permits include such requirments. Yes, they now know how to grind big old
oaks, maples and hardwood species (raptor habitat) into mush pulp.

As long as consumers continue to purchase products from companies that use
elemental chlorine, the pulp and paper industry will continue to deforest and
convert our Michigan forests to meet demands AND create new markets with the
continued support of our state and federal agencies--as if the right to
create new markets at the expense of biodiversity and human quality of life
is an inherent right of making profits.

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Murray Dailey