E-M:/ Groundwater contamination

Enviro-Michers:

I forward this from a Sierra Club listserve as reference information regarding
groundwater contamination (I don't know anything about the topic, however, so
don't send any queries to me).  AW

*******

As a good resource, the EPA has quite a few publications on Superfund
groundwater clean-up sites that outline current efforts for groundwater
clean-up  under supervision of the EPA.  It outlines site history,
contamination source,  clean-up method, amount of contamination removed,
current status, costs, % cleaned up, etc.  Many are considered successfully
cleaned up.

I do know there is a growing group of people who do believe that groundwater
clean-up is too expensive for what you get back.  In reality (well, my opinion
anyways), groundwater is so site specific, that it is impossible to lump all
situations as too expensive to clean-up.  The EPA reports support my
viewpoint.

P.S. - Here are the EPA references.  I have only read the ones on pump and
treat  clean up but I would assume the others are similar.  The web page
address is the  same as the report number.

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: INNOVATIVE
                      GROUNDWATER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES, VOLUME
                      11
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R98015.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: GROUNDWATER PUMP
                      AND TREAT: (NON-CHLORINATED CONTAMINANTS),
                      VOLUME 10
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R98014.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: GROUNDWATER PUMP
                      AND TREAT (CHLORINATED SOLVENTS), VOLUME 9
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R98013.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: IN SITU SOIL TREATMENT
                      TECHNOLOGIES, (SOIL VAPOR EXTRACTION, THERMAL
                      PROCESSES), VOLUME 8
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R98012.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: EX-SITU SOIL TREATMENT
                      TECHNOLOGIES, BIOREMEDIATION, SOLVENT
                      EXTRACTION, THERMAL DESORPTION, VOLUME 7
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R98011.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: THERMAL DESORPTION,
                      SOIL WASHING, AND IN SITU VITRIFICATION
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R95005.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: SOIL VAPOR EXTRACTION
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R95004.html

                      REMEDIATION CASE STUDIES: GROUNDWATER
                      TREATMENT
                      http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/Catalog/EPA542R95003.html