E-M:/ ACTION ALERT -- KNOLLENBERG TO INTRODUCE DIRTY AIR RIDER

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@voyager.net>

TELL CONGRESSMAN JOE KNOLLENBERG TO CLEAN UP HIS ACT--AND MICHIGAN'S AIR!!!!!

U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg (Bloomfield Hills, District 11), winner of the
Michigan Environmental Council's (MEC) 1st annual HEAD IN THE SAND AWARD
(and now the leading candidate to be our first repeat winner) is planning
to offer a dirty air amendment to the U.S. EPA fiscal 2000 appropriations
bill as early as Monday.  Knollenberg's amendment prohibits EPA from
implementing its plan to clean up nitrogen oxide emissions from coal-fired
power plants in 22 states, including Michigan and the District of Columbia.
 His amendment puts the interests of the coal industry and electric
utilities ahead of the respiratory health of Michigan Citizens.

(For details on the respiratory health impacts to children in Detroit check
out the introduction to the MSNBC article at
http://www.msnbc.com/news/287428.asp#BODY)

Tell Congressman Knollenberg you OPPOSE his dirty air agenda!  Fax the
Congressman at 202 226-2356

Tell him --

You oppose his back-door effort to stall progress toward the reduction of
nitrogen oxide emissions, which contribute to summertime smog this is
causing ozone action days.

His amendment would harm the lungs of Michigan residents because it would
stop EPA from requiring reductions in nitrogen oxide emissions from upwind
states like Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana as well as our own coal-fired
power plants.

Coal-fired power plants in Michigan dump over 170,000 tons of nitrogen
oxides into the air and they can reduce this burden on our environment and
health through the plan proposed by EPA.