E-M:/ Re:

Enviro-Mich message from Scott Heinzman <sheinzman@prodigy.net>

Mr. Smith, Mr. Jones and other enviromichers;

Corporate power has grown to a point where citizens are going to
have to engage the political process and make serious changes.
Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones make some valid observations.  People
need to take responsibility for their role in environmental
degradation.  Do we mandate that people can'e have more stuff?
No, that will not work.  People need to understand the whole
impact of materialism.  This type of education would be best
done by the mainstream media.  Here is a major glitch. (and now
for the Michigan slant)

Our two Detroit newspapers are owned by two media conglomerates,
Gannett and Knight-Ridder.  These two corporations own
newspapers throughout the country.  They squashed the striking,
then locked out newspaper workers like a bug.  These newspaper
owners are not going to report on anti-corporate power stories.
We're not going to hear about liberalization on investment,
globalization efforts in the World Trade Organization,
meaningful campaign finance reform, exploitation of third world
nations... etc.  Why?  Because Gannett and Knight-Ridder are the
same type of beastie that is the problem.  They are huge
corporations that are part of the big business club that owns
our government.

Instead of our government representing the people, it represents
big business.  If you want to be elected, you play ball with big
business or you do not enlarge the campaign warchest.  No war
chest, no TV time, no election.

Until people engage the political process and seize it, we can
not expect rational and responsible social behavior.

-Scott