re: Re: E-M:/ RE: / Loosestrife

Enviro-Mich message from cclampitt@tnc.org

I hate to see surmises get into the community culture where they may take on
the guise of common knowledge, if not fact.  Although purple loosestrife has a
long history in the ornamental trade, I have never before heard that it was
planted by public agencies.  In volume 2 of the Flora of Michigan, Ed Voss
writes that purple loosestrife was "introduced into North America by the
earliest 19th century for its colorful flowers ... [it was r]eported [from
Michigan] by the First Survey (1838)"  -- long before any DNR was established
in the midwest.

As for loosestrife control, we have found that removing the inflorescences
(and carefully removing them from the site to prevent further spread of the
seeds) can at least halt, if not reverse, the spread of purple loosestrife in
a wetland.  The careful application of an approved herbicide, such as Rodeo,
to the cut stems makes control more likely.  However, there is likely to be a
tremendous seedbank in the soil under the purple loosestrife and it is likely
to take many years of treatment to eliminate this species from a site,
followed by vigilance to stop a reinvasion.

Christopher Clampitt, Stewardship Ecologist
Michigan Chapter, The Nature Conservancy
2840 East Grand River Ave., Suite 5, East Lansing, MI  48823
TEL 517-332-1741 x37 **  FAX 517-332-8382  **  EMAIL cclampitt@tnc.org