Re: E-M:/ Alert: Wetlands

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

There is a group meeting here today which will be doing wetlands monitoring.  I'm newly involved with this group and I'll know much more after the meeting, but it consists of volunteers documenting wetlands of less than 5 acres.  I volunteered Cannon Township for a pilot program and that's what today's meeting is about.  I'll keep you up to date.
Bonnie

>>> Jonathan P Kazmierski <jkazmier@umich.edu> 07/27 5:10 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Jonathan P Kazmierski <jkazmier@umich.edu>

Has there been any effort to gather new data showing how much wetland area
is left in Michigan?  I would think that we are well past the 50% mark
now!  It would be interesting to know the % loss since the Engler
Administration took office.  Since the DNR split?

> Of Michigan's estimated original 11,200,000 acres of wetlands,
 circa 1780, only 5,583,400 acres are estimated to remain as of the 1980s,
 a net loss of 50%.

Any insight would be much appreciated,

Jon Kazmierski