E-M:/ ALERT--House Majority Whip Re-introduces Contract With AmericaTakings Bill

Enviro-Mich message from Julie Stoneman <juliemec@voyager.net>

This is a critcal message from Glenn Sugameli, National Wildlife Federation,
a premier expert on takings.  And, yes, passage of HR 2550 would have
severe repercussions for Michigan.---Julie Stoneman

>** High Priority **
>
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>On July 19, 1999, House Majority Whip Tom DeLay [R-TX] introduced
H.R.2550, the Private Property Protection Act of 1999.  It is identical to
the takings compensation bill that passed the House as part of the Contract
With America, as H.R. 925, the Private Property Protection Act of 1995.
The March 3, 1995, vote, in the early, heady days of the 104th Congress,
was 277 - 148 (Roll no. 197).

>The bill's sweeping statement of general policy appears to endorse an
approach that would repeal or gut laws that limit pollution,
discrimination, unsafe working conditions, and other safeguards: "It is the
policy of the Federal Government that no law or agency action should limit
the use of privately owned property so as to diminish its value."

>H.R. 2550 would create a new entitlement that would pay companies,
developers and others to comply with wetland laws, the Endangered Species
Act, and federal irrigation laws that do not take any property rights as
defined by every Member of the Supreme Court.  In 1995, the Office of
Management and Budget estimated the costs of the identical H.R. 925 as $28
billion over seven years.

>Then- Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole's [R-KS] broader companion bill (S.
605) was reported by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Dec. 21, 1995.  Both
S. 605 and Sen. Orrin Hatch's [R-UT] modified version, S. 1954, however,
expired in the face of widespread opposition without being brought to the
Senate Floor.

>Please let me know if there is any information I can help you with and
send me copies of any letters you send and any responses you receive
regarding this bill.

>FOR THOSE WHO WANT MORE INFO:
>
>A limited number of Free copies of my 67 page comprehensive article on the
Contract with America takings bills are available upon request (see my
contact info below if you do not already have a copy-- ask for Glenn P.
Sugameli, Takings Bills Threaten Private Property, People and the
Environment, 8 Fordham Environmental Law Journal 521 (1997))

>The text, status and cosponsors of H.R. 2550 are available on THOMAS
http://thomas.loc.gov/

>House Rep. No. 104-46 and S. Rep. No. 104-239, including the very helpful
House and Senate Judiciary Committee Dissenting/ Minority Views on the
Contract With America takings bills are available on THOMAS.
http://thomas.loc.gov/    Click on Committee Reports-- 104th, then enter
the Report Numbers in the appropriate slot and click on Search.

>My July 28, 1999 THOMAS search found the following information and
cosponsors

>H.R.2550
>SPONSOR: Rep DeLay, Tom [R-TX] (introduced 07/19/99)
>TITLE(S):
>SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
>    Private Property Protection Act of 1999
>
>OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:
>    A bill to compensate owners of private property for the  effect of
certain regulatory restrictions.

>STATUS: Detailed Legislative Status
>
>                                 House Actions
>Jul 19, 99:
>    Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
>
>STATUS: Congressional Record Page References
>
>***NONE***
>
>COMMITTEE(S):
>
>    COMMITTEE(S) OF REFERRAL:
>    House Judiciary
>
>COSPONSORS(16):
>
> Rep Pombo, Richard W. [R-CA]- 07/27/99
> Rep Young, Don  [R-AK] - 07/27/99
> Rep Doolittle, John T. [R-CA]- 07/27/99
> Rep Skeen, Joe  [R-NM] - 07/27/99
> Rep Walden, Greg [R-OR] - 07/27/99
> Rep Ryun, Jim [R-KS] - 07/27/99
> Rep Gibbons, Jim [R-NV] - 07/27/99
> Rep Johnson, Sam [R-TX]- 07/27/99
> Rep Radanovich, George P. [R-CA] - 07/27/99
> Rep Knollenberg, Joe [R-MI] - 07/27/99
> Rep Souder, Mark E. [R-IN] - 07/27/99
> Rep Packard, Ron [R-CA] - 07/27/99
> Rep Tancredo, Thomas G. [R-CO] - 07/27/99
> Rep Cunningham, Randy (Duke) [R-CA] - 07/27/99
> Rep McInnis, Scott [R-CO] - 07/27/99
> Rep Stump, Bob [R-AZ] - 07/27/99
>
>Thanks!
>
>Glenn Sugameli