Re: E-M:/ Public Service Commission Concerned about Michigan Overloading!

Enviro-Mich message from "A. FRIEND" <greenscreen17@hotmail.com>

"Power Corrupts.  Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely"

SUPPLY SIDE - Getting rid of "dirty" coal plants is a good idea but it
doesn't lessen consumer demand -- it only decreases supply.  The last time
Michigan/U.S. government mandated "energy efficiency" on the producer/supply
side we saw the development of nuclear energy.  We can discuss the pros and
cons of nuke power regarding Michigan later.

DEREG IS GOOD - Also, you mentioned the proposed utility deregulation.  If
you are familiar with the proposal, this is more of an economic debate than
an environmental one. The existing environmental laws (adequate or not) will
continue to apply to the production of power in Michigan under this
proposal. Therefore, while the reasonableness of current standards is a
healthy debate (PUN INTENDED) - it is separate from the question of who
should be allowed to produce power once those standards are established.

This appears to be an effort to open the market beyond the current monopoly
(and often dirty) providers.  You attempt to link this proposal with more
pollution.  However, if we open up the markets beyond the current government
protected monopoly we can get our energy from other states (that, in your
opinion are much better at producing energy anyway)and lessen demand on the
old coal plants.

Open markets reward those who can produce and deliver the most efficiently.
Coal plants aren't efficient or clean which is why CP/Edison only crank them
up when they run out of reserves.

DEMAND SIDE As far as "energy efficiency" on the consumer side - shouldn't
voluntary efforts and public education be encouraged? There are some awesome
opportunities (high efficiency light bulbs, furnaces, insulation, turning
lights off and AC down, etc) that consumers are starting to support because
it is in their own financial self interest. I will admit that if we
deregulate, costs will go down, and it will be harder to convince consumers
to cut back (however, there is still a natural economic incentive to cut
back).

EQUALIZATION OF CHASTISEMENT - Please be fair and hold all government in
contempt.  It is both the state and FEDERAL government that created the
current system.  I wonder if any of the grandfathering occured during the
Blanchard/Dempsy Administration? I do not believe that MORE government
planning is the answer.

YOU JUST CAN'T WIN, INC. Your criticism that the utilities provide energy
efficiency consulting to industrial users is puzzling.  Given limited
resources and increased pressure for "corporate responsibility", doesn't it
make sense targeting those places where your biggest gains can be made?  I
don't have the data, but I am sure GM uses more power in one day than I will
use in five years.  While I feel good about the efforts I make at energy
conservation - the largest gains are with the largest consumers.  Also,
assuming the rumor about corporations caring only about the bottom line is
true - - it makes sense to show them how to save energy.

Will and Adam Smith