Re: E-M:/ Temporary Victory on Smog

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@voyager.net>

Thank you to all enviro-mich subscribers who took the time to respond to my
request to contact Congressman Knollenberg and Congresswoman Kilpatrick.  I
will let you know if this dirty air rider is re-introduced.  As the next
attempt to introduce this bad rider will probably occur later this week,
now is a good time to tell your local representative that you OPPOSE
Congressman Knollenberg's dirty air rider.  You can contact them by calling
their district office, or by sending an e-mail to your representative.  Go
to www.house.gov.  At the bottom of this web-page is the icon, "write your
representative."  Clicking on this directs you to your representative and
allows you to write a note.  Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

David Wright

At 08:36 PM 7/30/99 -0400, Alex J. Sagady & Associates wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <ajs@sagady.com>
>
>The Engler/Harding/Knollenberg effort to front for
>the  electric utility industry on the nitrogen oxide (NOX)/smog control
>issue temporarily bites the dust in the Congress.....  But
>clean air leaders in Washington DC warn that Knollenberg
>efforts on behalf of the NOX polluters and their friends
>in Lansing could be ressurected at any time.
>
>This information comes from....
>
>Patricio Silva, Midwest Activities Coordinator,
>Natural Resources Defense Council.....
>
>"Congratulations!!  Your calls and media efforts were critical in forcing
Rep.
>Joseph Knollenberg (D-MI) to withdraw his NOx rider during the House
>Appropriations Committee mark-up of the FY 2000 VA-HUD, Independent Agencies
>Appropriations bill during an arduous session that begin at 9:30 am today.
>
>The FY 2000 VA-HUD, Independent Agencies Appropriations bill is now scheduled
>for floor action as early as Tuesday, August 3rd, but more likely by Friday,
>August 6th.  Please follow-up with members that you have contacted to express
>your opposition to any efforts by Rep. Knollenberg to offer his NOx rider
in a
>floor amendment (which remains a possible threat), and also voice your
>opposition to any comments concerning the NOx SIP Call in the accompanying
>legislative report.
>
>The Knollenberg NOx rider has been revised.  As before, the revised NOx rider
>would prevent EPA from acting on the NOx SIP call, section 126 petition,
or any
>consent decree (arising from ongoing discussions between EPA and the
States).  "