E-M:/ Ecology Center on Medwaste Incinerators

X-From_: tracey@ecocenter.org Wed Aug  4 11:34:50 1999
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:35:24 -0400
To: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
From: Tracey Easthope <tracey@ecocenter.org>
Subject: Medical Waste Incinerator Rule Hearing Today

The State of Michigan has proposed rules to regulate medical waste
incinerators based on the federal rules.  The proposed rules, like the
federal rules, are weak.  Michigan has improved upon the rules only by
proposing a stricter mercury standard, and a mercury management plan.  This
is a good first step, but the emission limits are otherwise unsupportably
weak -  orders of magnitude weaker than what the best hospital incinerators
in the country are already achieving.

We have prepared detailed comments.  We also urge others to comment on the
rules.  Comments should be submitted to the Air Quality Division.
I am happy to provide additional information to anyone who is interested,
or a copy of our comments.

Tracey Easthope, MPH
Director, Environmental Health Project
Ecology Center