E-M:/ Lake Superior Water sales

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

I thought the following news summary and link to an article in the NY Times
about the IJC proposing a moratorium on water sales from Lake Superior would be
of interest. Two follow up questions, if any out there has the information:
1) What happened to Bart Stupak's bill proposing a ban on such sales? Still
pending? Any hope of action?
2) Who was the IJC proposing the moratorium to, and who can individuals contact
to support such a moratorium?

> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:45:59 -0400
> Sender: Sigma Xi - Science In The News List Service
> <SCIENCE-IN-THE-NEWS@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
> From: inthenews <inthenews@SIGMAXI.ORG>
> Subject: In the News
> To: SCIENCE-IN-THE-NEWS@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
>
> The following roundup of science stories appearing each day in the general
> media is compiled by the Media Resource Service, Sigma Xi's referral service
> for journalists in need of sources of scientific expertise.
> IN THE NEWS
>

> 6-MONTH HALT SOUGHT IN THE SALE OF WATER FROM GREAT LAKES
> from The Associated Press
> WASHINGTON -- A bilateral commission recommended a six-month moratorium
> Wednesday on the sale of water from the Great Lakes. A study to determine
> whether there is enough Great Lakes' water to sell is under way and should
> be concluded over that period.
> The recommendation came from The International Joint Commission, which helps
> the United States and Canada manage their border waters. The commission said
> a moratorium should include both the bulk removal of surface water and new
> removal of groundwater from the Great Lakes basin.
> Last year a Canadian company applied for permission to ship water from Lake
> Superior to Asia.
> <http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/national/science/sci-lakes-water.html>

John E. Rebers
Department of Biology