Re: E-M:/ Public hearing on incinerator mercurystandard-Hamtramck Aug 25th

Enviro-Mich message from Nolan Bennett <elansingcwa@cleanwater.org>

 I know Tony Soave is still a major contributor to City Management's state PAC
which is known as City PAC. According to City PAC reports, from 1997-1998, Mr.
Soave gave over $130,000 to City PAC.  Clean Water Action pulled together garbage
state PAC  contributions (Waste Management, City Management, BFI, Wayne Disposal
Inc - The Environmental Quality Company) to state lawmakers and released a report
for 1995-1996. We have pulled the PAC reports for 1997-1998 and tallied some of the
data.

Above and beyond the contributions to federal candidates and political committee, I
think the more interesting contributions from City PAC are to local politicians,
school board candidates and neighborhood committees. The data is still preliminary
and needs to be triple checked, but here is a taste of some of the contributions:

Irma Clark - Detroit School Board - $6,727.25
Juan Jose Martinez - Detroit School Board - $800
Sheila Cockrel - Detroit City Council - $5,000
Sterling Heights Neighborhood Committee - $2,000
Ed McNamara - Wayne County Executive - $6,500
John O'Hair - Wayne County Prosecutor - $1,100
Robert Ficano - Wayne County Sheriff - $400
Teola Hunter - Wayne County Clerk - $180

The list goes on and on. City PAC contributed a total ~$125,000 for 1997-1998.

--
Nolan Bennett
Program Director