Re: E-M:/ Open letter to Enviro-Michers

Enviro-Mich message from "A. FRIEND" <greenscreen17@hotmail.com>

INTERESTING....Isn't it?

The Sierra Club of Michigan feels that their positions and opinions are of
interest enough to post on this list but when a discussion evolves on the
quality of their positions or how the group reaches those official opinions
they opine that the attention is "disproportionate" (to what?)and of
interest to only a "very small number" of readers.

Trading Programs are a very current relevant topic in Michigan --we have an
air emissions trading program and are considering others. I propose that
these programs are beneficial as a part of Michigan's environmental
protection programs and that we should debate the merits and potential of
Michigan's programs, review available data, of then pass wisdom of SC's
stated across the board opposition to trading programs.

As a part of that debate it is relevant to discuss the process that this
organization used to reach it's conclusion (is it based on science, polling
of members, experience in other states, Idealism, etc.) Understanding how SC
came to this conclusion may help those who have not formed an individual
opinion on this matter.

So... I believe the Sierra Club and others are in error in choosing
opposition to these programs.  Michigan's program has merit for the
following reasons:

1) It recognizes both economic and environmental realities.
2) It has resulted in significant reductions of emissions w/o enlarging the
size or cost of government.
3) The gains (emission reductions) from trading cost only about one-half to
one-third as much as the cost would be using the approach of federal air
pollution control efforts.
4)It has resulted in what economists call "dynamic efficiency" - the
discovery of new, innovative, and self inflicted methods of compliance.
5) It provides flexibility with the ultimate goal of compliance and cleaner
air.

Howdido,
Woodrow Wilson Guthrie