Re: E-M:/ Abraham Greenwash press release

Enviro-Mich message from "A. FRIEND" <greenscreen17@hotmail.com>

The Sierra Club recently kicked off a politically charged campaign aimed at
Spence Abraham.  As a part of that campain they made a post post to
enviromich the SC stated:

"During his first four years in the U.S. Senate, Abraham cast
pro-environment votes only 3 out of 42 times."

However, I found only very generic descriptions of a few of these votes
anywhere on the webpage we have been referred to visit if we are ever
curious on SC matters.  The page listed such nebulous sins as:

Voting Against Pollution Prevention
Voting Against Parks, Forests and Wildlife Lands
Voting for Corporate Welfare
Voting to Weaken Land Use Protections

PLEASE!  Is it possible that there is more to these bills that make them
unattractive or poor policy?  What was the cost, counter arguments, added
regulation, expansion of programs involved? Gee, is it possible that a
special interest would be selective in deciding what votes to count to skew
the report card? Was there only 42 votes relevant to the environment in four
years?  If not, is it fair to characterize someone based on a handful of
votes selected by a special interest group?

FOR INSTANCE, the SC has an official position supporting abortion.  Did the
SC include Pro-Life Votes in calculating his report card and status as an
enemy of the environment? Report cards by special interest groups are a
joke.   Please stay focused on individual bills and their full implications.

Michigan environmental policy should be about rendering scientifically
supported, risk based, rational, balanced and effective public policy and
keeping the public trust.  The SC and many other activists in Michigan have
insisted on turning it into a sport of inflammatory rhetoric and hyperbole.
It's too bad when the best a leading environmental organization in our state
can do is put out insulting sound bites hoping to make headlines.  Those
that pose opposing views must be demonized a the enemy and the public is
given false choices.  The result is a tainted debate that lessens the
likelihood of informed and rational public policy.

All sides are guilty. Unfortunately, the debate has already been framed in
radical terms before the public is allowed to join.  The ceaseless
posturing, manipulation of data, false predictions of the end of the world,
exaggerated characterizations, and partisan motivated attacks only serve to
weaken the public's confidence in Congress AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCATES.
We are not stupid.

While it may help renew memberships and juice up the donor list it doesn't
solve real problems that real people care about.

Throwing Stones
Bob Weir