Re: E-M:/ trading nightmares

Enviro-Mich message from "A. FRIEND" <greenscreen17@hotmail.com>

A few thoughts:

1) More smoke and mirrors.  You begin by stating that trading as currently
PRACTICED in Michigan is dangerous due to lack of monitoring in a PROPOSED
program.  Please be honest with the readers.

Michigan currently only has an Air Quality Trading Program, yet you
intentionally or unintentionally cite your concern for the supposed lack of
"comprehensive" monitoring in a PROPOSED (read: non existent) surface water
trade program.

Do we lack good monitoring data on air emmissions from those sources that
would be elgible for trading?

Clinton/Gore have stated that air quality trades are key in the fight
against global warming.  If we lack the data for trade programs, would you
then characterize their position as "dangerous"?

2)You state that lack of enforcement in Michigan coupled with trading will
result in more pollution.  However, if there is no fear of enforcement or
penalty, why in the world would I incur the cost to create reduction credits
or purchase them to come into compliance?

3) Dogma, shallow partisan rhetoric etc, The enviro-mich archives is flush
with examples, sir. Good therapy for one side of the debate but bad for
constructive, thoughtful discussions.

4) While I understand that differing views make some readers uncomfortable -
I thought true dialogue and debate was the whole point.

Yada Yada,
Yanni