E-M:/ Postings by Civil Servants on EM

Postings by public servants from MDEQ, MDNR, Dept. of Attorney
General, Mich Dept. of Agriculture, US EPA, US FWS, NOAA, Seagrant,
Coop Extension Service, SCS and others with environmental and conservation
responsibilities are encouraged on Enviro-Mich.

I personally consider it important for Michigan citizens to understand the
work of these agencies in order to understand how to affect decision-making
on Michigan environmental and conservation matters.

It is suggested that such public servants generally include a disclaimer
saying that they are speaking for themselves individually and not necessarily
for their agencies, unless they are specificaly authorized to speak for
their agencies....more for your own protection than for any reason having
to do with this list.

There have been occurrances where some agency officials have been
told not to post anything on EM by their managers within certain divisions
of MDEQ.   I
consider that unfortunate.

All should still understand, however, that the primary purpose of this list
is to foster environmental activism and public participation in environmental
and conservation decisionmaking in Michigan on state and local
environmental/conservation issues.   Many of these matters are indeed
controversial and relatively "hard fought" and may indeed invite vigorous
discussion.

I think my colleague, Dave Dempsey's, comments were more in reaction
to recent postings by individuals who believe in contention for its own sake
rather than real debate and who refuse to be responsible for and be
identified for their participation.

Regards,

Alex Sagady
Enviro-Mich Listowner
Volunteer, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

At 02:27 PM 08/26/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Fred Cowles" <COWLESF@state.mi.us>
>
>Since when is it inappropriate for regulators and industry to express their
views on enviro-mich?  I thought that was what enviro-mich was all about.

>========    Fred
>Fred E. Cowles, P.E.
>Surface Water Quality Division
>Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
>cowlesf@state.mi.us

>. . .  When industry e-mail lists actively invite membership and
>discussion by environmental advocates, then it will perhaps be appropriate
>for regulators and industry representatives to tout their views on
>enviro-mich.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)