E-M:/ Question About State-Owned Land

Enviro-Mich message from Chad Bailey <crbailey@umich.edu>

Since I'm an air quality guy, I'm not too well versed in land use issues,
so I was hoping someone could help me out...

I visited a small town near Escanaba, in the Upper Peninsula, this
weekend. To my dismay, my travel companion showed me a plac where what was
once state land covered by forest was now home to our buddy, sprawl.  Huge
tracts of lawn and monoclonal real estate had cut into what was a few
years earlier some fairly untouched state land...

Can anyone tell me if there's been much building on state land?  If so,
isn't there some kind of policy against giving away state land to real
estate developers?

Chad Bailey
University of Michigan School of Public Health

"When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked
why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist"

                                --Dom Helder Camara
                                  Brazilian Bishop
                                  Nobel Peace Prize nominee

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've
always gotten."
				--Unknown