Re: E-M:/ Question about State-Owned Land

Enviro-Mich message from Jonathan P Kazmierski <jkazmier@umich.edu>

As Tom has explained below, and as confirmed by the DNR, the State does
exchange land in an attempt to secure other more "valuable" land.  As Tom
has pointed out, this leads to forest framentation and the degredation of
State Forest ecosystems.  I believe that this is what has taken place in
Roscommon State Forest, but I will be doing some research to confirm this.

If anyone in the group knows of specific land exchanges that have taken
place, I would very much like to learn about them, as I would like to
gather evidence that shows the DNR needs to modify these practices and
consider the value of intact ecosystems and other external benefits not
accounted for.

Please send your cases to:
jkazmier@umich.edu

Thank you for your assistance,