E-M:/ Fw: editorial on "consensus" logging in national forests

Enviro-Mich message from "David Zaber" <dzaber@chorus.net>

Folks,

Given the extremely heavy logging taking place and planned for Wisconsin's
and Michigan's National Forests, the following story has some merit for all
of us concerned about poor logging practices in the upper midwest.

By the way, in our appeal conference call on the Borrowed Time logging
project in Michigan's Hiawatha NF, District Ranger Theresa Chase (Munising
Ranger District) told us that, despite a recent report that shows goshawk
reproductive success at levels that are half of what they must be to sustain
current populations (researchers have only found 12 nests during intensive
surveys for the past several years) in the UP, she will keep the logging
project on track.

I asked that the logging be deferred until the new forest plan allowed us to
develop a sound management plan for goshawk and other species.  Ms. Chase
refused.

Also, according to a former Forest Service economist, from 1993 to 1997, the
Hiawatha NF lost an average of 123 dollars (taxpayer dollars) on each acre
logged on the forest.  That works out to a whopping 3,044 dollars for each
job "created" by the logging during that time.

Wisconsin's Chequamegon/Nicolet lost an average of 129 dollars per acre
logged during this time (1,403 dollars per job).

Privatize benefits, socialize costs.

best,

David J. Zaber
dzaber@chorus.net

> Excerpts from a recent story in the SF Chronicle:
>
> Logging Plan Deceptively Marketed, Sold
> Source: The San Francisco Chronicle
>

> Timber corporations make huge profits cutting down the public's forests
for
> pennies on the dollar, while taxpayers foot the bill for logging road
> construction, timber sale planning and restoration expenses. The timber
> industry shows its appreciation by giving millions in campaign
contributions
> to congressional leaders who dutifully appropriate more logging subsidies
and
> pass pro-logging legislation.
>
> However, recent polls showed that Americans are increasingly opposed to
the
> continuation of the timber sales program in national forests. In a poll
> conducted on June 22-25 last year by Market Strategies Inc., 69 percent
> opposed the federal logging program, while 24 percent favored it.
>
> This mounting public pressure leaves federal policymakers with only two
> choices: Listen to the people or develop more creative pretexts to keep
> logging. Last year, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., joined by pro-logging
> Republicans, opted for the latter approach, successfully attaching the
Quincy