Re: E-M:/ Engineers in MDEQ's Director's office

Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Miron <camiron@mail.direcpc.com>

Alex:

As a licensed professional engineer and a member of the Michigan Society of
Professional Engineers my opinion may be biased, but I believe that there is value
in having licensed professional engineers available to the MDEQ and the MDNR to
offer technical review and opinions regarding engineering aspects of environmental
matters.  In some cases, such as review of design plans and specifications for
landfill design/construction, the need for input from engineers is obvious.  In
other situations, it may be more subtle.

Based on my professional correspondence with representatives of the MDEQ, it
appears to me that the engineering review/comment function is being addressed
quite competently, primarily at the district level, within that agency.  But, I
(and you, I suspect from your e-mail) would be interested to hear from agency
staffers regarding the role of engineers and engineers' opinions within these
agencies.

Regards,

Christopher A. Miron, P.E.
Grand Rapids, MI