E-M:/ Proposed I-73

Enviro-Mich message from Terry Lodge <tjlodge50@yahoo.com>

  I'm working with a group of anti-needless highway
activists in the Toledo, Ohio. I have seen in the news
that pre-draft environmental impact statement (DEIS)
studies are now underway for the segment of proposed
I-73 from Lansing to Jackson, MI. This is a possibly
unlawful segmentation -- subdividing -- of a route
planned to run from the Sault to the Carolinas.
Segmentation is an end-around used by state highway
departments to avoid, or render meaningless,
compliance with the National Environmental Policies
Act of 1970 (NEPA).

   I'm seeking to network with activists in all
affected states facing yet another interstate highway
development mess in order to demand a
"super-environmental impact statement" and force
consideration of existing U.S. highways and state
routes as an alternative to a debacle that will see
dozens of square miles of hinterland permanently
dedicated to truck and auto use.

   Are there any Michigan activists against the
proposed new I-73?

   Thank you.

    Terry Lodge
    (419) 255-7552