Re: E-M:/Chlorine Free Paper

Greetings,

Unfortunatley, the destruction of forest ecosystems in Michigan does not end
with the production of chlorine free paper products.

As you may recall, Jim Muiener, Timber Staffer with the Ottawa US Forest
Service, confesses that nearly 90 percent of the trees (forest ecosystems and
endangered species habitat) coming off the Ottawa National Forest go towards
the production of paper products.

Regardless of the figure, there is no reason, other than PROFIT$$ to a few,
to continue logging forest ecosystems for paper when so many alternative
fibers (flax, agri-waste, cotton, hemp, elephant grass and other perennials,
etc.) exist.

Ask any average small woodlot owner or contractor in Michigan's UP if they
are logging for pulp, or if it is possible to compete with Louisiana
Pacific's insatiable, and incessant deforestation operations. (If you really
wanna see forest destruction, check out LP's Northern Division north of
Crystal Falls, MI.)

All of our national and state forests in Michigan have been largely converted
to aspen and pine farms.

We are fighting to save some of the very last and recovering forests slated
for destruction. The Forest Service continues cutting in WILD AND SCENIC
RIVER CORRIDORS AND  NEXT TO WILDERNESS AREAS. Nothing is sacred to these
people.

Our first goal should of course be use/consumption reduction and lifestyle
change. Second, or simultaneously, a phase out (NO NEW MILLS) of tree and
forest conversion by a forest products industry which has, with the Forest
Service and DNR's help, destroyed vast tracts of our natural native heritage.
They have conditioned generations of people into thinking tree farms are good
for society. The Forest Service says so in their forest plans and in their
literature.

I propose that Michigan Conservationists, educators, cultural centers, and
corporations embark on a TREE FREE challenge. Give your group or association
or institution one year to be completely tree free!!

Recycled paper still requires virgin pulp. It also has to have inks and
coverings separated, which produces toxic sludge.

Information on where and how to purchase tree free paper forthcoming!!

For the Wild,

Murray Dailey