E-M:/ ACT: HR 1300 is poised to derail Superfund

Enviro-Mich message from eric.uram@sfsierra.sierraclub.org

   Please use the information below to let your Representative know this is
   something they SHOULD NOT support. IMMEDIATE ACTION IS NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

     Sample LTE #2

     Some so-called "representatives" in Congress are threatening to roll
     back environmental protections and let polluters off the hook for the
     toxic messes they create and hit taxpayers with the bill! Under the
     current law polluters must pay to clean up the messes they
     create---saving taxpayers $15.5 billion to date.

     Just as we learned in kindergarten, it's still true that the person
     who made the mess must clean it up. That's the heart of the Superfund
     program: that the polluters who made the nation's most toxic waste
     sites must pay.  But now a bill introduced in Congress would turn that
     principle on its head. H.R. 1300 would compel taxpayers to pay for
     messes that polluters made, but which hurt Americans and their
     families.  Toxic waste sites are everywhere - the General Accounting
     Office estimates the total at 425,000 sites!  And the chemicals at
     these sites are dangerous; many cause cancer.  H.R. 1300 would also
     slow the rate of cleanups of toxic messes and relax the standard for
     what is deemed clean.  That would mean a more polluted environment,
     and higher costs for the taxpayer, a lose-lose combination.

     As cancer rates sky-rocket in our society, Congress should be acting to
     protect us from hazardous chemicals and force polluters to clean-up their
     waste. We need to tell our Representatives that Americans want a clean
     environment free of toxic chemicals and we do not support H.R. 1300 because
     it would let polluters off the hook.

     Sample LTE #1  for H.R. 1300, "Recycle America's Land Act"

     Congress is attempting to rollback environmental protections and allow
     polluters to sneak out of paying to clean up the toxic messes they
     have created.

     Clean-up of our nations toxic waste sites is a critical issue for all
     Americans, especially minority neighborhoods and children. Nobody is
     quite sure how many toxic waste sites there are in America, although
     one estimate by the General Accounting Office estimates there may be
     425,000! The Environmental Protection Agency data shows 10 million
     American children live within a bike's ride of one of these
     dangerously polluted sites. Many of the chemicals found at these sites
     pose health threats---including higher rates of cancer for people
     living nearby.

     H.R. 1300, "Recycle America's Land Act," a bill that would weaken the
     Superfund law, is currently being debated in our nation's capital.
     Under Superfund, the industry that creates the pollution must pay to
     clean it up. That makes sense to most Americans! Well, this supposedly
     budget-conscious Congress wants to shift the burden of clean-up to the
     taxpayers and let the polluters off the hook. Not only would H.R. 1300
     let the polluters get away without paying a penny for clean-up, but it
     would relax the standard for what is deemed clean. This would mean
     that many sites would be considered clean even though toxic chemicals
     remain present and hazardous.

     As cancer rates ski-rocket in our society, Congress should be acting