E-M:/ Come to Lakes water levels protection hearings

Enviro-Mich message from Great Lakes United <glu@glu.org>

Come to Great Lakes Water Levels Hearings!

Dear enviromichers,

You have probably heard a great deal over the last year about threats to
Great Lakes water levels, either due to the recent drought, or due to last
year's proposal to export water from Lake Superior.

If this issue concerns you, these next two weeks you have an opportunity to
make a difference.

The International Joint Commission, which advises the U.S. and Canadian
governments on Great Lakes environmental matters, wants to hear what
citizens think about threats to the level of water in the Great Lakes.

Hearings closest to Michigan:

Detroit, Michigan, Tuesday, October 12, 7-10:00 p.m.
Hotel Pontchartrain, 2 Washington Boulevard, (313) 965-0200

Gary, Indiana, October 19, 1999, 7-10:00
Marquette Park Pavilion, 1 N. Grand Blvd., (219) 938-7362

The six members of the commission, who are appointed by the president of
the United States and the prime minister of Canada, want to hear what
people think about the draft report they released in August, to help them
release a final product and official recommendations to the governments in
February.

The commission is a unique government body. It is very independent, has a
history of making ground-breaking recommendations for government action,
and often really listens to citizen opinions. But its draft report was not
that great (see below to view the report online; visit www.glu.org for our
analysis), and Great Lakes residents can help strengthen the final report
by telling the commissioners so. We need the commission to forcefully
recommend strong government action in the three main areas threatening
Great Lakes water levels:

1. Bulk export of Lakes waters
2. Large-scale diversion of water out of the Great Lakes basin, and
3. Climate change.

-  Bulk water export deals allowed by the government today may set
precedents that we have to live with forever.

-  We need strong policies immediately to fend off the large-scale water
diversion proposals that will inevitably be made by water-short areas such
as the U.S. Southwest.

-  And we have to start now if we want to have any impact on the forces
that are causing climate change, which the U.S. National Atmospheric and
Oceanographic Administration currently estimates will reduce Great Lakes
water levels three feet by the year 2050.

We think the commission should also make specific, hard-hitting
recommendations on how regional jurisdictions can work together to start
conserving water across the basin.

Consider taking a look at the full text of the International Joint
Commission's report. It is only about 40 pages long and contains a great
deal of fascinating information about the Great Lakes water use:

http://www.ijc.org/boards/cde/interimreport/interimreporte.html

Please try to come to the hearing, even if you do not want to address the
commissioners.

See you at the hearings!

Reg Gilbert
Great Lakes United