E-M:/ RE: / The Cynic on Sen. Horton getting up close and personal with hog waste.....

Enviro-Mich message from "Harris, Craig" <Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu>

i suppose that it is the role of the cynic to imagine the worst about
everything, but i would like to pick up on one element in the message . . .

Of course MSU's generally accepted agricultural practice is to regularly
conduct hog waste aroma therapy on East Lansing and Okemos when they dump
waste south of MSU.

as farmers in temperate zones have done for many centuries, the msu farm
managers spread manure on the fields in the fall after the crops are
harvested and in the spring before the crops are planted . . . the manure is
then incorporated into the soil, so that the nutrients (especially phosphate
and nitrogen) do not run off the fields in the fall rains and the spring
snowmelt . . . this recycles the nutrients back to the land (rather than
imposing the burden on landfills or other forms of waste disposal),
increases the fertility of the soil, and diminishes the need for synthetic
fertilizers
so, it is not entirely clear to me what is the point of the cynic's comment
. . . does the cynic really want an agriculture that has no odor . . . it
probably could be done, but it would be a highly technologized,
industrialized agriculture that would go against the values many people
express for the continuation of an agriculture based on family-size,
family-owned, family-operated farms producing diverse varieties of fruits,
meats and vegetables . . . another alternative is to move animal agriculture
to other countries, so that michigan residents are not bothered by the odors
. . . is this what the cynic would like to see
cheers,
craig

craig k harris
dept of sociology