Re: E-M:/ Pamlico Sound and Michigan's Right to Farm Amendments

Enviro-Mich message from "Conan Smith" <conanmec@voyager.net>

One critical point seems to be missing in this SB205 discussion.  I believe
that at the heart of the matter is the congressional seat race between
Senators Mike Rogers and Diane Byrum.  Strong arm politics provide the only
rational justification for so many staunch supporters of local control to
abandon their positions.  It was widely rumored  that this vote would be an
attempt to differentiate Byrum and Rogers on the farm issue.  That
speculation is supported by a few interesting developments.  The substitute
bill approved by the Senate the day before the vote radically departed from
compromises made in committee; the final vote was dramatically partisan
despite strong arguments from both sides and it totally shifted established
paradigms of support of local control from the Republicans to the Democrats.
Furthermore, Senator George McManus's recent study on preserving agriculture
offered a variety of substantive improvements that would not, as does SB205,
shake a leaking boat with little effect on the bailing.

The likelihood that electoral partisan politics has driven this divergence
from a long-upheld tradition of local control, creating havoc and dismay
among environmentalists and rural residents, should not be lost on voters in
the coming election.  Toying with residents ability to determine the future
of their communities for the sake of a congressional seat, rather than for a
broadly demanded improvement through public policy, shows to what sad depths
parties will sink in their efforts to impress a handful of influential
interests.