Re: E-M:/ RE: / The Cynic on Sen. Horton getting up close and personal with hog waste.....

Enviro-Mich message from "David Zaber" <dzaber@chorus.net>

Folks,

Craig Harris wrote:

"this (manure spreading) recycles the nutrients back to the land (rather
than
imposing the burden on landfills or other forms of waste disposal),
increases the fertility of the soil, and diminishes the need for synthetic
fertilizers"

I would take issue a bit with Craig's comment here in that the current
practices of biosolid applications to agriculture fields (and sewage sludge
too) are a major cause of nonpoint water pollution in the upper midwest.  In
too many cases, applications exceed the phosphorus needs of the crops by
many fold and current regulations such as NRCS 590 do not address the issue
of nonpoint pollution.

When it comes to livestock wastes, its the magnitude of waste generation
that poses the threat to such widespread applications of nutrients (and the
fecal coliform et al. bacteria that comes with it).  Timing and locations of
application are also a serious issue (i.e. winter applications on frozen
fields with greater then 5 or 6 % slope, etc.).

Also, increasing the fertility of soils is ok for crop lands but for many
associated lands that serve as sinks for excess nutrients, increasing
fertility is destructive to biological diversity.  Many ecosystems in
Michigan are nutrient poor (relatively) and this has led to evolution of
unique communities like bogs, coldwater streams like the Sturgeon in the
Upper Cheboygan River drainage or the Upper St. Joseph/Upper Kalamazoo
Rivers, alvar, and other michigan ecosystems are damaged when excess
nutrients are added.

Wisconsin has just come out with a set of proposed rules to address the
nonpoint issues associated with Agriculture.  They are weak but do have some
important prohibitions and policy changes.  I know Michiganders can access
the rules and the associated report on the Wisconsin Department of Natural
Resources webpage.

David J. Zaber
dzaber@chorus.net