E-M:/ local control

Responding to a Sierra Club report on Michigan's low standing among states in addressing urban sprawl, a spokesperson for Gov. Engler said last week:  "Gov. Engler has a strong record on controlling sprawl, but not in a way that tramples local control.  Our efforts are geared toward giving communities the tools to control their own futures."

I'm heartened to know we can count on the Governor to veto S.B. 205, which tramples local control by denying communities the tools to control their own futures even through reasonable protection of the air, water, and ecosystems from factory farms.