Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 03:10:07 -0400 (EDT)
:
Sender: eparegion5news@valley.rtpnc.epa.gov
:
From: Kelley.Jeff@epamail.epa.gov
To: Multiple recipients of list <eparegion5news@valley.rtpnc.epa.gov>
Subject: FOREST COUNTY POTAWATOMI, STATE OF WISCONSIN SIGN AGREEMENT
:

From: Jeff Kelley@EPA on 10/13/99 09:52 AM CDT

To:   eparegion5news@unixmail.rtpnc.epa.gov
cc:

U.S. EPA REGION 5 NEWS
----------------------

Technical Contacts: Christine Hansen (FCP) (715) 478-7209
         Marty Burkholder (WDNR) (698) 264-8855
         Neal Baudhuin (WDNR-Northern Region) (715) 365-8958
         Benjamin Giwojna (EPA) (312) 886-0247

Media Contacts: Christine Hansen (FCP) (715) 478-7209
         Marty Burkholder (WDNR) (608) 264-8855
         Don de Blasio (EPA) (312) 886-4360

For Immediate Release: October 12, 1999

No. 99-OPA296

FOREST COUNTY POTAWATOMI, STATE OF WISCONSIN SIGN AGREEMENT

The Forest County Potawatomi Community (FCP) and the State
of Wisconsin have signed an agreement that resolves issues
related to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
proposed Class I air quality redesignation for about 11,000
acres of Potawatomi tribal land in Forest County, WI.

The agreement was signed by Governor Tommy Thompson,
Potawatomi Vice-Chair Harold Frank, and EPA Region 5
Administrator Francis X. Lyons.

In February 1995, the FCP requested that EPA redesignate air
quality classification within tribal boundaries in Forest
County to Class I status under the Federal Clean Air Act
Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) construction
permit program.

The PSD program works with facilities, such as paper mills,
foundries, and power plants, that emit large quantities of
air pollutants.  The program is intended to insure that air
quality remains good in areas where it is currently meeting
standards.

A Class I designation means that little or no degradation in
the existing air quality on the reservation would be allowed
to occur.

In June 1995, EPA proposed approval of the redesignation
request, but the States of Wisconsin and Michigan objected
to the proposal and requested negotiations to resolve the
dispute.  Michigan, however, did not participate in the
dispute-resolution discussions.

The signed final agreement provides a cooperative framework
for establishing State, tribal, and Federal implementation
of Class I air quality status for the FCP.

The agreement addresses how permit applications in Wisconsin
will be processed for new PSD air sources, and major
modifications to existing major sources, potentially
affecting the Class I lands.

Although the agreement is signed, it would not become
effective unless EPA grants the FCP request for
redesignation.  EPA expects to publish a decision on the
redesignation request and the dispute resolution in the
Federal Register within the next six months.

###

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)