E-M:/ Phosphorus in Michigan

Forwarded bounced message from Assistant Attorney General Stew Freeman:

Subject: Re: E-M:/ Phosphorus
To: griffinc@GVSU.EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Stewart Freeman" <freestew@pilot.msu.edu>
Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

The history of the phosphorus ban is a Michigan story. Governor Milliken by
executive order transfered statutory power under a 1971 statute from the Water
Resources Commission to the Natural Resources Commission. The NRC then
promulgated a rule restricting the sale in Michigan of high-phosphate
detergents. The industry challenged the rule, and the Attorney General mounted
a vigorous defense. After extensive litigation, the Supreme Court upheld the
rule.The DNR monitoring programs demonstrated that the phosphorous levels in
Lake Erie went down dramatically.  The court's opinion (a precedent on many
points of law) is well worth reading.  See Soap & Detergent Association v.
Natural Resources Commission, 415 Mich  728 (1982). Professor Bill Cooper has a
wonderful lecture that he gives on the politics and environmental impacts of
the case.For a sample  of the media coverage of the issue, see Pat
Shellenbarger's piece "State soap opera: As the Lakes turn" Detroit News,
Thursday, June 10,
1982, p 16-B.

--Stew Freeman

 > Enviro-Mich message from "Carol Griffin"<griffinc@gvsu.edu>
 >

 >      I thought the Great Lakes states banned P in detergents in the 1970s.
 >      Question
 >      1.  Was that just for household detergents?
 >      2.  Did the ban then become nationwide?

 >      C. Griffin
 >      218 Padnos
 >      Grand Valley State Univ.
 >      Allendale, MI   49401

enviro-mich"

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)