Re: E-M:/ House Ag Hearing on SB 205

At 09:27 PM 10/19/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Tom & Anne Woiwode" <woiwode@voyager.net>
>
>SB 205 Hearing in House Draws a Crowd
>
>With a large crowd assembled in an elegant hearing room of the brand new
>House Office Building, the Michigan House Committee on Agriculture and
>Resource Management was the site of an intense discussion about confined
>animal feeding operations (CAFOs) in Michigan, sparked by SB 205, a bill
>which would preempt local control over agricultural operations.
>
>The crowd was dominated by more than 15 elected township officials and more
>than 30 farm families vehemently opposed to SB 205.  Reportedly, the
>committee Chair, Mike Green, after leafing through the stack of cards from

[SNIP}

WKAR News staffer Gretchen Millick did a killer interview with a farmer from
Ionia County this morning on this issue who is objecting to the development of
more hog hotels in that community.

Michigan Land Use Institute was also mentioned in the interview.

You're supposed to be able to get these interviews over the world wide web
at   http://www.wkar.org   for about 24 hours after they are aired, but
since I don't have a sound card in my
computer, I've never actually tried to hear one on the web

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)