E-M:/ Fw: OCTOBER 26TH! INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION FOR THE WORLD'S OLD GROWTH FORESTS: Where will you be taking action?

Enviro-Mich message from "Frank Ambrose" <fambrose@bloomington.in.us>

Hey all,

 October 26 is fast approaching and we have a ton of targets in Michigan and
elsewhere in the Midwest. If  you go to the links below, you will find out
that there is definitely two of  the top ten old growth forest product
dealers near you. It is time that we  had demo's at all of them and get
these folks out of the market of  destroying the rainforests and the great
forests out west. It also is a
 great opportunity for you to talk to people about wood use conservation,
 something that is needed if we are to protect all the forests, everywhere.
This is especially true in Michigan and the midwest where a lot of educating
is needed.

 Lets go get Menard's, Wickes, and 84 lumber! It takes effort from
everywhere to make the dream a reality.

 Contact me if you have questions, want to do a demo but dont know what to
 do, need materials, etc. My number is 812-337-1631.

 Frank Ambrose
American Lands Alliance

 In this email: 1) Call to protest
                   2) Campaign Update
                  3) Targets for October 26 and what
                     states they're in
                4) Don't Forget About Home Depot!
                5) Background:  What are old growth
                   forests and why should be protect
                   them?

1)  OCTOBER 26TH! INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION FOR THE
 WORLD'S OLD GROWTH FORESTS

 WHERE WILL YOU BE PROTESTING?!!!
  Please email me your targets as soon as possible. A
 list of the next five national targets can be found
 below. A protest can be anything from a visit to the
 store to meet with the manager, to a small protest
 with petitions signs and banners, to a banner drop,
 and a full-fledge civil disobedience.  If you can;t
 act on Tuesday take action some time next week! If you
 plan on targeting these companies on any level next
 week, email me fambrose@bloomington.in.us

 2)  Campaign Update
  Home Depot and Lowes have both committed to going
 old-growth free!  Now it's time to take on the whole
 industry!  So what's next? We want to have every
 company in the Top Ten of the home improvement retail
 industry to commit to go old growth free by the end of
 the year. The issue requires little explanation, it is
 simply unconscionable to continue to sell lumber from
 old growth forests and other ecologically important
 areas in this day and age. Why not enter the new
 millenium with a clear path forward for the world's
 forests that is not parasitic, but based on a more
 healthy vision of true sustainability? Now's our
 chance. HomeBase, Menards, and Wickes are barely
 returning phone calls and seem to be making little
 progress while 84 Lumber and Payless Cashways at least
 seem to understand their responsibility to respond in
 some manner on this issue.   If all of us work
 together to  target specific companies in each region
 we can get results! Strike while the iron is hot!  The
 corporate criminals who  profit off the barbaric
 destruction of the world's ancient forests know that
 the days of the old growth trade are numbered.

 3)  WHO'S NEXT? TARGETS FOR DAY OF ACTION

 1. 84 LUMBER                    or
 PO Box 8484                     Route 519
 Eighty-Four, PA 15384           Eighty-Four, PA 15330
 724 223 8400
 fax 724 228 9457
 WEBSITE:  http://www.84lumber.com
 President:  Maggie Hardy Magerko
 REGION:  Eastern seaboard west to Colorado (but not
 Maine, NH or Vermont)

 84 is another mom and pop store that got huge, but is
 still privately held. Claims to be nation's "largest
 privately-owned retail building materials company."
 [Interesting note:  founder Joe described by retail
 industry as "excitable, enthusiastic, and a grassroots
 promoter who knows what people want and how to provide
 it."]

 2. WICKES INC.
 706 N. Deerpath Drive
 Vernon Hills, IL 60061
 847 367 3400
 fax 847 367 3400
 WEBSITE:  http://www.wickes.com
 CEO:  J. Steven Wilson
 REGION: CO, WI, MI, IN, IL, OH, PA, NJ, CT, NY, MA,
 NH, ME, MD, KY, TN, NC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX

 Wickes is a mom and pop store that got huge, saying
 that "unlike main competition Home Depot, Lowe's and
 Menard's", they focus on contractors instead of
 do-it-yourselfers.

 3. MENARD'S INC.
 4777 Menard Drive
 Eau Claire, WI 54703
 715 876 2577
 fax 715 876 5010
 WEBSITE:  none.
 CEO: still looking....
 REGION: upper Midwest, focusing on the north, with
 stores in WI, MN, ND, SD,NE, IA, IL, IN, MI.

 "For over 37 years, Menards has been a leading home
 center retailer in 'America's Heartland'..."

 5. PAYLESS CASHWAYS, INC.
 2300 Main Street
 Kansas City, MO 64141-0466
 816 234 6000
 fax 816 234 6425
 WEBSITE:  http://www.payless.cashways.com
 CEO:  Millard E. Barron
 STORES THAT ARE OPERATED BY PAYLESS CASHWAYS:

 Payless Cashways: AZ, NV, TX, OK, NE, KA, MO, TN, AR,
 IA, IN IL
 Knox Lumber: MN
 Furrow Building Materials: OR, NM, TX, IL, IN, OH, KY
 Hugh M. Woods: CO
 Lumberjack Building Materials: CA, NV
 EXPRESS Super Hardware Store: NV, AZ, TX

 Also operates as Furrow, Lumberjack, Hugh M. Woods,
 and Knox Lumber, claims to be "full-line building
 materials and lumberyard retailer."

 3) BUT DON'T FORGET ABOUT HOME DEPOT!  Keep pressuring
 them by meeting with store managers ("I would like to
 see all those products you are phasing out because
 they destroy forests.")and flyering customers
 informing them of the products that Home Depot must
 remove. Another idea is to schedule a "check-up" DEAD
 RAINFOREST TOUR for the October 26 Day of Action.
 Rainforest Action Network will be preparing old growth
 compliance evaluations for Home Depot stores.

 FACTS ABOUT OLD-GROWTH FORESTS?

 WHAT ARE OLD GROWTH FORESTS? 'Old growth' means
 original, intact forest land that has not yet been
 significantly degraded by people. With trees often
 hundreds of years old, these are the most fragile
 forests ofall. The include the temperate and tropical
 rainforests of the world.

 WHY SHOULD WE PROTECT OLD GROWTH FORESTS? Old growth
 forests are important store houses of carbon, which
 moderate Earth's climate. Logging these forests
 contributes to global climate change. Also, old growth
 forests are essential to the Earth's web of life. They
 are home to over fifty percent of the lifeforms on
 this planet, and indigenous and traditional peoples
 depend on the rainforests for their very survival.

 OLD GROWTH STATISTICS
 The United States has already lost 96% of its
 oldgrowth forests

 Only 22% of the world's old growth forests are still
 intact

 76 countries have already lost all of their oldgrowth
 forests. Eleven more countries are on the vergeof
 losing their old growth forests.

 70% of the world's remaining old growth forests arein
 Brazil, Russia, and Canada.

 Outside of the world's cold boreal regions, 75% ofthe
 world's old growth forest is threatened.

 Global wood consumption has increased 2.5 times since
 1950.

 Wood consumption in the United States and Canada is
 three times the level in underdeveloped countries and
 double that of other industrialized nations.

 North American wood consumption is expected to
 increase 46% by the year 2040.

 We already have the technology to reduce our wood
 consumption by 75-90%.

 Source: RainforestAction Network

 TOGETHER we can get old growth forests off the shelves
 of the home improvement industry!

 If you need more information or help, contact Frank Ambrose,
fambrose@bloomington.in.us (812-337-1631)or Jennifer
 Krill, jkrill@ran.org 1-800-989-RAIN. We have "old
 growth inpection team" labcoats and lots of other
 props and info available.